Is there no end to the different mods and challenges for Pokémon? The latest wild way to play is with “Christian rules”:
While perusing through their Discord server, Twitter user @CrungleBungles noticed a bizarre post by another user challenging “Pokémon Crystal” players to use so-called “Christian rules” during their playthrough. These rules are very restricting, inconveniencing to any who adhere to them, and are all based a stereotypical religious tropes that forbid indulging in any vices or scientific theories such as evolution. The rules include not letting their Pokemon evolve, not using any “Psychic” types of Pokemon or attacks, and avoiding science labs at all costs. The ruleset also discourages players from using “narcotics” such as Rare Candy or HP UP. A few of the rules border on offensive, but CrungleBungles seemed to be having a fun time with what they called “[the] dumbest possible rules applied to [‘Pokémon Crystal’].”
Even better, it appears that CrungleBungles has beaten the game within this odd framework. The Twitter user followed their original post up with a long series of tweets showing their progress until the completion of their playthrough — and they aren’t the only ones to do so, either. As reported by Dexerto, six of CrungleBungles’ friends — called the “Six Disciples” — also got through the game using this rule set.
Much like Christianity, the rules aren’t perfect as others have pointed out (could have excluded Dark types too) but that’s precisely the point. It’s a nonsense way to play and to great effect as it forces you to use Pokémon you never would have used in any other playthrough. Next stop: Christianlockes!
Update: So, after further research, it looks like “Christian playthroughs” were a thing on Pokémon Emerald as far back as 2011. Here’s a Christian playthrough by Snickersnee and one by Lonfyre Gaming.
Update 2: It looks like the original tweet by @CrungleBungles was deleted but we managed to find the rules:
- Your Pokémon can’t evolve.
- Pokémon have to be Level 18 before they can breed, and two Pokémon that enter the Daycare Center can’t be of the same gender.
- If you receive an egg, you’ll have to hatch it and raise the creature until it’s Level 18 before releasing it or putting it into the PC.
- Players may not use Psychic (Confusion), Dark (Beat Up), Ghost (Confuse Ray), or Dragon-type (Dragon Pulse) Pokemon/moves
- No snake Pokémon are allowed to be used like Arbok or Onix.
- Players may not use fossil Pokemon like Aerodactyl or Kabuto. You also can’t enter science labs unless it’s mandatory.
- You cannot gamble at the Game Corner.
- Narcotics like the Rare Candy and HP Up are not allowed.
- All legendary Pokémon must faint during your playthrough.
- You cannot spam healing items while in battle.